As we approach the middle of winter, let’s take a moment to refresh and prepare our vehicle for any unexpected weather conditions ahead.
- Fill your fuel tank when it reaches half full. You want to ensure that you have plenty of fuel in case you become stuck in traffic on a highway or expressway for hours.
- Check your tires, including the spare, for tire pressure, cuts or bulges, and tire wear. If you are unsure, speak to a mechanic.
- Check the condition of your wiper blades. If you have streaks on the windshield, it may be time to replace the wiper blades. Make sure the spray dispenser is working well. Always carry an extra container of winter windshield washer fluid.
- Test your lighting system, headlight, signal lights, brake lights and four-way flashers. Replace bulbs as required.
- Make sure that both your front and rear defrosters are working properly to ensure best visibility from inside the vehicle.
- Check to see if any items in your winter safety kit need to be replenished.
- Inspect the condition of your ice scraper and snow brush. If the bristles are misshapen or plastic is broken, it may be time to purchase a new one. Always remember to fully clear the snow from your vehicle.
Hazardous road conditions are unpredictable. Always take it slow, leave space, be a co-operative driver!